Four things to know before bringing pet into Australia
If you believed you have seen it all when you are applying for an Australian visa for yourself and your family, then bringing in your family pet(s) is really more complicated. Australia is free from most animal-related diseases present in other countries of the world. Before moving to Australia your dog or cat must fulfill all necessary import conditions before they leave your home country. These are the 4 things you should know about before you bring your pet into Australia.
- Where are you currently moving from?
The precise requirements you have to meet when importing a cat or dog into Australia differ based on your country of origin. If you are living in Australia or perhaps you are just moving to Australia you need to complete all needed requirements concerning where you are moving from.
- Getting a permit
Before you can request for an import permit, your pet must have been staying in an approved country for not less than six months before any attempt to import it to Australia.
You’ll have to apply for a permit in your country of origin months before you prepare moving to Australia, and there are several other eligibility criteria that have to be fulfilled:
- Your pet has to be not less than twelve weeks old.
- You can import only two pets.
- Certain breeds are restricted, Japanese Tosa, American Pit Bull, Dogo Argentino, Pit Bull Terrier and African Wild Cat.
- Pets needs to be five generations or even more removed from any cat or dog which is not a domestic breed.
- Females pets must not be more than 30 days pregnant or suckling their puppies or kittens.
- All pets have to be micro chipped.
As a rule you have to supply:
- Veterinary records/certificates verifying, for instance, that your pet has been immunized against rabies as well as being current with parasite control and safeguarded against infectious diseases.
- Medical results of the tests revealing, for example, that your pet has been examined for medical conditions like brucellosis and leptospirosis.
- A legitimate import permit.
The least cost to import one pet to Australia is $2,000.
- Transporting your pet
Your pet won’t have the opportunity to travel in the passenger cabin along with you; but, he or she will make the traveling in a pet travel container (provided by you) in a specific part of the aircraft. Pets are tranquilized and checked by a competent vet to be sure they are healthy and fit to travel before the flight departs.
There are companies that handle pet transporting from start to finish.
All pets that get into Australia (except those from New Zealand, Norfolk Island or Cocos Island) must be taken to Australian quarantine facility to serve at least ten days. Quarantine facilities are available in Melbourne, Sydney and Perth and are usually busy, so it’s suggested that you reserve a place for your pet a couple of months before moving to Australia.
Previously you were permitted to visit your pet while they were in quarantine, but that right was changed in 2014.
Although importing your family pet to Australia can be challenging, it’s all worthwhile to make sure that your pet stays with you, but if you’re just visiting Australia and you plan travelling with your pet its better you leave the pet in your home country. However, to make the whole process easy, you can evaluate the services provided by professional pet transport companies and also read the Australian settlement guides.