AN INTERVIEW WITH OUR CO FOUNDER
- What’s your career story? Where did you start and what do you do right now?
I started my career in India as Electrical Engineer at Havel’s and quickly moved to IT working as a Network engineer at IDS InfoTech before moving to Australia for Higher education. Following that I worked in various industries ranging from retail to transport & finally got my break in IT in Australia. Currently working as Service delivery manager in Australia oldest Telecommunication Company and running my own enterprise.
- In last few years, how the employment market has changed?
Employment market in Australia has become more competitive. With Australia opening its shores to oversees workers on work visa, skilled people from all over the world have entered Australia workforce.
- Why do you think Australia employers/recruiters are concerned about local experience with newly arrived migrants?
Local experience is a myth, we all know that being a new migrant myself that we have the skills and experience to compete in any market worldwide and Australia shouldn’t be an exception.
- How does a migrant approach employment market?
Keep your option open ,network as much you can and if you are in a hurry as we all are get a mentor or career coach help you tackle Australian employment market.
- How does a migrant continue to remain optimistic and positive despite of knock-backs? How many knock-backs you had before you succeed?
It’s really hard but we all have come here to make our dreams come true. There is no reason that you won’t get a job it’s just the timing which can be a killer. So be patient and start your preparation early while you are in India. Start building a network of likeminded people who can support you in your journey to find a job in Australia.
- What about the mindset of finding work? What approaches really work?
A growth mindset is the key in finding job in Australia. You should be able to present your passion and goals on your resume. Approach job market with a career growth rather than a necessity.